2.6 Plymouth Directory maps
2.6.1 George Philip & Son
As noted above, the 1st edition of the Plymouth directory included a map and this was a Philips´ Handy Atlas map. The size and the format of the book meant that the county map chosen fitted perfectly with one centre fold. It had the EYRE BROTHERS` SERIES OF GUIDE MAPS as title above the top border and the address of the publishers is given as 10 Paternoster Square, London.[i]
2.6.2 W H Maddock
William Henry Maddock was a printer, engraver and lithographer in Plymouth and appears to have been active from circa 1848 to the mid-1880s. His only previously known publishing venture would seem to be a map of Plymouth, A New Map of Plymouth ..., dated 1848. By 1890 his address was 86 Treville Street. He seems to have been a specialist lithographer and printed a map of Exeter for Llewellyn Jewitt (1850), two maps for John Heydon (1859 and 1860), a map of Dawlish for W M Cornelius´guide (1868) and a map of Salcombe and Kingsbridge for James Fairweather (1884).[ii] In 1881 Maddock lithographed and published a new map of Plymouth and the following year it was included in Eyre Brothers’ Post Office Plymouth and Devonport District Directory.
Fig.19. Map of Plymouth by Maddock in Eyre Brothers´ .... Directory 2nd Edition
This map was originally somewhat smaller and was increased specially for the directory. It was only used in the 1882-83 issue. In 1885 it appeared again (as a folding map in orange covers) published by Wood & Tozer and apparently lithographed by WP Cooper of Plymouth. It finally appeared in a volume of Plymouth and Devonport Views circa 1890.
2.6.3 Brendon & Son
Richard Nicholls Worth was a professional writer born in 1837 at Devonport and became chief reporter for the Western Morning News. His books History of Devonport and History of Plymouth were published in 1870 and 1871 respectively. Maybe it was the success of these books, and the latter in particular, but Worth resigned his post at the newspaper in 1876 and joined the local printing and publishing business of Brendon & Son.
Fig.20. Map of Plymouth by Brendon & Son in Eyre Brothers´ .... Directory 3rd Edition
A map of Plymouth was included in his Guide to the Three Towns and Neighbourhood which was published soon after. He was a regular contributor to the Transactions of the Devonshire Association, and also became its President. The name of Brendon is very much associated with Plymouth and the Transactions which were mostly printed by that company. Worth was also active in, and became President of, the Plymouth Institution. He died in July 1896 at Shaugh Prior. In 1885 the map included in his guide to the three towns was used in Eyre Brothers’ Post Office Plymouth and Devonport District Directory 3rd Edition.
Fig.21. Map of Plymouth by Brendon & Son in Eyre Brothers´ .... Directory 4th Edition
For the 4th Edition William Brendon & Son printed
a new map for the directory. Whereas the first map was a plan of the three
towns, the second was more a chart of the harbours, Cattedown and Sutton
Harbour. In the 6th edition (1893) they claim that they have been established upwards of 50 years.
2.6.4 John Smith
Besides the map produced for the Eyre directory nothing more by John Smith is known. However, the map was issued in the 6th to 11th editions with at least three updates. The 1st edition of the directory lists a Smith, J at 102 Old Town in Plymouth under Printers. However, the 6th edition does have a half-page advertisement for John Smith at The Printing and Stationery Works. According to the ad the company was established in 1794 and had a warehouse at the Old Town address but the works were in Notte Street. According to this advertisement in 1893 he was publishing the “Handy” Railway Time Table (monthly), the Plymouth Almanac, books on Plymouth Guildhall and the Eddystone Lighthouse as well as two maps of Plymouth: the “Handy” map of the Plymouth District and a New and Correct Street Map (in 3 colours price 6d). It is possibly this latter map that Smith sold to Eyre.
Fig.22. Map of Plymouth by John Smith in Eyre Brothers´ .... Directory from 5th Edition
This was by far the most successful directory map. It appeared for the first time in 1890 in the Fifth Edition published by W Hood. It was included, unaltered, in the Sixth Edition issued by J Hammond. He continued to use the map for all issues until 1898 although it underwent changes in size and was updated in 1896 and 1897 to include new developments.[iii]
The Eleventh (Hammond) and the Twelfth (Creber) Editions are believed to have the same map.[iv]
2.6.5 Theophilus Creber
Theophilus Creber published five editions of the directory and two have so far been found with a map. The first is believed to be a reissue of the final John Smith map (see above) but the 13th edition has a new map. This seems to have been specially made and bears Creber´s name across the top but is not found in later editions. Two copies of each of the next three issues are known (all lacking a map, but none called for in title); however, any maps may have been removed and stored separately.
Fig.23. Map of Plymouth for Creber in Eyre Brothers´ .... Directory 13th Edition
Theophilus Creber´s Copyright Plan of Plymouth, Devonport, Stonehouse and Neighbourhood was included in 1901. Although only two libraries have the directory with the map, two further institutes have a copy of the map stored separately to the directory.