2.7 The Name Survives
Although the Swiss directory appeared annually from 1906 to 1915 the war years seem to have upset the regularity of publishing and only copies for 1920, 1923 and 1928 are known.[ii]
Fig.19. Title page to the 6th Edition of the directory published by Hammond 1893/4
For a short period it was taken over and published as Kelly’s (formerly Underhill’s) Post Office Directory of Plymouth and District but only seems to have appeared from 1935 to 1940 under this name. The directory was revived after the Second World War and copies for 1951, 1953 and 1955 (8th edition) are known. Frederic Kelly (fl.1845-1900) founded Kelly & Co., the London-based publishers who specialised in directories: the first, London, was produced in 1843 from his Post Office Directory offices at Old Boswell Court (later from Temple Bar, 1845-68). The first County Directories appeared c.1845 and they included maps of the relevant county/counties. Devon appeared in 1856 and was re-issued at approximately five year intervals well into the next century with updated maps (identifiable having the title Post Office Map Of ...). In c.1860 the frst complete compilation of the maps was issued, the Post Office Directory Atlas. Kelly´s survives today as KellySearch, an online search tool.
We may never learn who the Eyre Brothers actually were but for a brief period between 1875 and 1890 their company survived and though it may not have flourished they laid the foundations for others to not only emulate their efforts but also utilise their name. Their own output was limited to a just over a decade but the publications they began (or propagated) meant that their name continued to be used by others on the main titles for another 15 years and would be incorporated in the title pages far longer.
[i] Batten & Bennett; 2000; ibid. Entry 166 has two hunting maps which covered most of the county. Batten; The Tourist Maps of Devon; Little Silver Press; Exeter; 2010 lists a further Swiss hunting map based on the cartography of John Cary.
[ii] All copies held at PCL and WDRO.
[iii] WDRO has only the directory for 1932. BL has a directory credited to Swiss dated 1932/33.